Custom Search

Monday, May 10, 2010

Susan Burgess: Charlotte City Council Member Dying Of Cancer

















Susan Burgess' Statement To Charlotte Media:


This is the statement released by Susan Burgess early Monday afternoon:

"I always have striven to be open and honest in all that I say and do. Accordingly, I publicly announced my cancer diagnosis over three years ago, and today I am announcing that the caring and competent team of Hospice and Palliative Care of Charlotte is now managing my treatment. My wonderful doctors have done all that is possible to contain my cancer, yet it continues to grow and spread.

"I have every intention of fulfilling my duties as Mayor Pro Tem and continuing my commitment to the people of Charlotte. The reality, however, is that I no longer have the energy to go and be as I always have been and will now focus my efforts on core responsibilities of the Council. I know there will be activities I no longer have the strength to pursue, and I hope everyone will understand there will be times when I will need to say ‘no,’ or I must turn down invitations. I will do my best not to let anyone down.

"I have been blessed with a loving family, with caring friends, with an indomitable spirit, and with an incredible opportunity to be of service to the citizens of the City I love. I count these blessings every day, and I appreciate every minute that I am allowed to enjoy them. If the days of those blessings are to be cut shorter than I might hope, I want you to treat me as always. It will be easier for you and for me. I can honestly say, I have not shed a tear since my diagnosis but have focused instead on being a fighter and living my life.

"I hope that my friends, colleagues and constituents will share in my joy for these bountiful blessings; that we will celebrate what has been and the potential of what is yet to be. As the poet wrote, ‘Life is short, and time is fleeting…,’ I would hate to waste it with what-might-have-been. Instead, I hope we will move forward resolutely together, always looking toward the future.

All my best,

Susan Burgess






Charlotte City Council's Susan Burgess Says Cancer Is Spreading, Under Hospice Care


Charlotte City Council member and Mayor Pro Tem Susan Burgess said Monday her cancer is spreading and that she is under the care of Hospice.

Burgess, a 63-year-old Democrat, underwent surgery in February 2007 for colorectal cancer and received chemotherapy treatments afterwards. She remained on city council and won re-election last November.

“My wonderful doctors have done all that is possible to contain my cancer, yet it continues to grow and spread,” Burgess said in a statement released early Monday afternoon by city officials.

She said she has “every intention” of completing her two year term on council but asked residents to be understanding of her condition.

“The reality … is that I no longer have the energy to go and be as I always have been – and will now focus my efforts on core responsibilities of the council,” she said.

In the statement, Burgess said she is now under the care of Hospice and Palliative Care of Charlotte.

In its mission statement, Hospice and Palliative Care of Charlotte says it provides support services for patients with an expected life span of “six months or less, if the illness takes its anticipated course.”

Burgess, a West Virginia native, is among Charlotte’s longest-serving public officials. She was a Charlotte-Mecklenburg School Board member for seven years before winning election to Charlotte City Council in 1999. She ran for mayor in 2001 but finished second in a three-way race in the Democratic primary. Ella Scarborough, who won the primary, then lost to Republican Pat McCrory in the general election.

Burgess returned to elected office in 2003, winning a city council race. She was re-elected in 2005, 2007 and 2009.



View Larger Map


Sources: Charmeck.org, Facebook, McClatchy Newspapers, Youtube, Google Maps

No comments: